10.02.2010

Panama Esmeralda...Opening Day

So it begins...

The Esmeralda arrived today and to put it simply it did not disappoint.

I had the honors of making the first cup. I've been working on perfecting (if you can even call it that) the pour-over method which is a brew-by-the-cup method used in the coffee industry that is one of the best ways to brew coffee. The last couple of weeks I've been doing extensive research (talking to professionals, reading, and watching a lot of youtube videos) on the best way to make the pour-over. A few days ago I finally felt like I got it down good enough to feel like I wouldn't screw up the Esmeralda once I got it.

Upon busting open the bag and inserting the coffee into the special addition jar I was literally shaking out of nervousness and excitement hoping that I didn't mess anything up. I figured I'd make the first one, mainly because I wanted it first but also to see if I would need to make any adjustments for when all you fine folks purchased a cup.

The aroma was unbelievable...very complex, extremely floral, wildly exotic, intoxicating, bergamot and citrus...I was ready. After approx. 3 min when it finished dripping into the carafe I inhaled the finished product and took my first sip...

...as it gently hit the tip of my tongue I thought to myself that it wasn't unlike other floral coffees I've had...and then it brushed over the rest of my tongue and I literally got all tingly and had a moment of utopia (I'm not kidding) and as it went down my throat it gave me such a delightful feeling that I felt immediately relaxed. The whole slurp itself was extremely balanced, smooth, and full of complex flavor.

I have always been a fan of coffees with a very heavy, syrupy, viscous, body and this Esmeralda was very different in that was almost tea-like and velvety thin. It was so interesting and wonderful at the same time.

I didn't get a chance to truly enjoy the entirety of my cup because 4 people that I was with immediately wanted me to make them some, all of whom I've snapped pictures of and will make into a photo album on my facebook page so check it out. I'll eventually include their remarks as they drank their cup.

Even if the $12 wasn't going towards a good story I still think this coffee would be well worth the price and I don't think anyone so far would disagree.

The first person after myself to try it was Ethan Gipp, a friend and regular of ours at Copper River Coffee & Tea and one thing he said definitely stood out more than anything else that really defines the feeling from drinking this amazing cup. He said that his tongue felt like it wanted to fall asleep! Ha! It gives your mouth such a delightful, relaxing feeling that this totally made sense and I knew and experienced exactly what he was talking about.

The second and third folks to try the cup were friend and coworkers Daniel Williamson and owner of Copper River, Scott Elledge. Dan sat in the back of the cafe and drank his coffee in solitude and didn't really have words to describe his experience. I think the picture I will post in facebook really says it all. Scott screeched with joy and will probably soon write a poem about his Esmeralda experience.

The last person of the day to try it was friend and Copper River regular Zain Hakeem. His words will come shortly with his picture on facebook ( I had to leave while he was still finishing his cup). However I do remember that as I left he was sitting in the cafe at a table with just his cup of Esmeralda staring straight and smiling, in world somewhere not in his present reality. It was a wonderful site.

Stay tuned for more stories and more pictures. I ordered another bag today because there are more people than I thought that would like to try it out. So don't miss your chance. It might be gone by Monday or Tuesday until I get another bag in next week.

Just FYI there was a book (at least 1 that I know of) that is dedicated to telling the story of this particular cup of coffee which is literally known presently as the best coffee in the world) Check it out at http://www.amazon.com/God-Cup-Obsessive-Perfect-Coffee/dp/0470173580

....The story continues....

The Redemption of ALL Things

No comments: